The 2019 recipient of our $1000 bursary award was Jillian Stelfox, who graduated from Mark R. Isfeld Secondary School and enrolled in the Bachelor of Science (Ecology) program at the University of Calgary in 2019. She intends to pursue a career as an ecologist or wildlife biologist, with a goal of promoting conservation. She has participated in G.P. Vanier School’s Explore program, and the Young Women in Ocean Literacy and Leadership camp, which encouraged her interest in the environment. Her record as a volunteer is impressive and includes involvement in the following environmental initiatives:
- 5 years as a member of the Isfeld Environment Club, including 2 years as Club vice-president
- Salmon count with the Tsolum River Restoration Society
- Removal of invasive species with Broombusters and Project Watershed, and planting native species with Project Watershed
- Lead organizer of Isfeld’s 2019 Eco-Fair
- Participant in numerous beach cleanups; a lead organizer in 2018 and 2019
- Fund-raised for MARS Wildlife Rescue Centre
In addition Jillian has been an outstanding student, achieving Honour Roll status for the past 3 years, while also participating in school and extracurricular sports. Her references speak very highly of her commitment and passion for the natural world.
Congratulations Jillian, and we wish you much success in your studies and future endeavours!