The public voting period for Tree of the Year 2023 began April 1. Read the 27 trees’ stories and look at the photos on our nominees page, then plan to visit the trees themselves. We have prepared maps of suggested touring routes which you can access using the links below.
Browse through the nine cycle routes which vary from 5 km to 41 km and which can be easily adjusted to suit your interest or challenge level.
Whatever your mode of travel, do get out and safely tour the trees. The photos do not come close to capturing the feel and grandeur of these trees in their home places. Perhaps one of these routes will lead you to appreciate a natural area you haven’t previously explored. And as suggested by Sky N., the nominator of the Courtenay western white pine, be sure to breathe in those phytoncides emitted by trees which affect and improve human well-being.
Please respect private property boundaries and owner privacy by viewing the trees from public land unless otherwise invited in.
We have three ways for you to access the route maps using the links in the table below:
- The route maps were implemented on the PlotARoute website (plotaroute.com) which has multiple viewing options. See some tips below the table.
- If you would like to have printable information, you can download a PDF version of the plotaroute map.
- If you like Google maps, some of the routes are shown on one here.
Note that the Gran Tour Circuit route encompasses most of the nominated trees, all of which are also in one or another of the shorter routes.
|4, 10, 11, 13, 14, 15, 18||web page||yes|
|1, 17, 20, 21||web page||yes|
|7, 23, 27||web page||yes|
|Courtenay||2, 5 16,|
22, 24, 25
|Merville||6, 8, 9||web page|
|[21 of 27|
|Cumberland||12, 26||web page|
|Fanny Bay||19||web page|
|Denman Island||3||web page|
Tips for viewing the plotaroute maps:
- Four of the routes (Comox, Headquarters, Lerwick, and Gran Tour) constitute a plotaroute collection and appear on one map. Select the one you want to see in the table below the map.
- Expand the map to full screen using the crossed arrows at the top right of the map.
- Play an animation using the play icon at the bottom left of the map.
- Zoom in or out using the + and – icons at the top left of the map.
- The length of the route is given in the bottom margin of the map.
We are grateful to TOTY team members Roger Chayer (once again) and I.E. for all their work preparing these maps.
To vote for your favourite tree, visit our voting page any time between April 1 and May 31.