CVN has a general-interest field trip for members on Saturday or Sunday most weeks of the year to a natural area in the Comox Valley, or occasionally further afield. Depending on the location, these may delve into the plants, birds, other animals, geology, conservation issues, history, or other aspects of the area.
The information in the advance schedule reflects planning as of the posting date and is subject to change. Always check for the latest information and additional details in the President’s weekly email announcements, in blog posts on this website, or on Facebook.
Usually, one walk per month is also open to the public. These are free, but participants must agree to CVN’s Informed Consent and Assumption of Risk Agreement. These walks are usually publicized in the local newspaper.
Interest Group Field Trips
Several of CVN’s interest groups have specialized field trips for their members. These are detailed in emails from the group leader, and they may also be posted on this website in the following categories:
General Guidelines for Participants
- Meet either at the carpooling location or the trailhead 10 minutes before the specified time, unless otherwise announced. Carpooling locations for weekend walks are usually the former Thrifty’s location in downtown Courtenay or the Courtenay Country Market on Highway 19A north of the city. For interest groups, as announced.
- Participants are responsible for their own safety.
- Walks typically take at least 2 hours.
- Wear clothing and footwear suitable for the conditions.
- Bring water and a snack (or lunch for longer trips).
- No dogs please.
- Share traveling expenses when car-pooling: suggested 10 cents per km per person.