Comox Valley Nature (CVN), also known as Comox Valley Naturalists Society, is a non-profit society affiliated to BC Nature and shares its mandate “to know nature and to keep it worth knowing”. Founded in 1966, CVN is one of the oldest environmental societies on the North Island and has 200 members. CVN fulfills its educational mandate by hosting monthly lectures, organizing free weekly guided hikes for members, and a free monthly walk open to the public. In addition to a variety of environmental projects it undertakes, CVN supports specialized groups (Birding, Botany, Conservation, Garry Oak Restoration, Wetland Restoration, Photography and Young Naturalists). Club activities also include environmental conservation initiatives such as restoration of important wildlife habitats, bird surveys, and increasing public awareness and appreciation of wildlife, natural areas and the environmental issues affecting the Comox Valley.
For more than twenty years, the CVN has been awarding one Bursary of $1000 to a Comox Valley School District graduating grade 12 student who is planning a career in natural or environmental sciences. The Bursary may be for a greater amount, depending on the fund’s balance and donations received that year.
The Bursary Application can be filled out on-line, then printed. Click on Bursary Application Form . Please attach supporting documents to this form and submit the contents to your school office.
To be eligible, applicants must:
- Have a career goal in biological or environmental sciences.
- Preferably be actively involved in environmental and/or natural history-related activities. Describe your involvement in the on-line form.
- Indicate in a paragraph of 500 words or less in the on-line form how your career objectives and goals support the mandate and activities of CVN.
- Have high academic standing in courses relevant to biological and/or environmental sciences.
- Have community volunteer experience, preferably with CVN or other environmentally-related organizations.
- Be proceeding to a post-secondary institution within 15 months from the date of graduation (up to the start of the fall semester of the year following graduation).
Posts about Bursary:
Jensen Keltie, CVN 2018 Bursary Winner >> Link
Emily Lohn, CVN 2017 Bursary Winner >> Link
Kylie Adebar, CVN 2016 Bursary Winner >> Link